Monday, November 4, 2013

New Bedford MA

Thinking about getting away this Veteran's Day Weekend? Even if it is just a day trip, New Bedford, Massachusetts is a great place to hunt for antiques!

A couple of years ago, we were passing by on I-195 and saw a large industrial building with 'Antiques' written on the side of it. Obviously, we had to stop! And I was thrilled with what we found. It was a little sketchy getting to the building and signage wasn't all that great, but the treasures were!

I got 7 hat boxes, each with a hat in it for $60! They were sold as a group. I couldn't believe it! Usually hat boxes themselves are at least $10 and don't include hats in them -- hats are more likely to start around the $15 mark. So yes, I was very happy as I kind of have a thing for hats.

These are just the ones I got from New Bedford -- there are still others...



Again, it has been a couple of years since we were there, and I think that it actually moved to another building that is in a nicer spot according to what it says on the home page (now surrounded by new condos - check out http://www.newbedfordantiquescenter.com/.

Here is another shop that looks good too - http://www.newbedfordantiquesatthecove.com/.
I don't remember if we went there or not (I think I recall something like we were in the other place too long, and then when we got to this one, it was closed for the day). But from the web-site, it looks like a pretty awesome place as well.

Two huge antique stores make New Bedford a perfect fall weekend destination. Not to mention, there are so many other quaint places to stop along the way. If you live in New Haven, you could pass through Mystic and Newport or Providence depending which way you go - I'd recommend going over the Claiborne Pell Bridge in the daylight to see the beautiful view, and then Providence on the way back for a slice of cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory (I know it's a chain, but the cheesecake -- come on!) From the north/Boston area, Plymouth is a nice stop for history buffs and of course there is an unending supply of lobsta and chowda! Now I'm hungry!!

Have a great week!   

No comments:

Post a Comment